Some notable funding sources listed below:
- PhD Supervision
- 2 PhD students from SPPH (1 of which is transferred from MSc), 2 scheduled to start at SPPH in Sept, 2020.
- MSc Supervision
- 1 MSc student from SPPH, 1 scheduled to start at SPPH in Sept, 2020
- 1 MSc student from Statistics, 1 MSc student from Statistics already graduated in 2019.
- Co-supervising / Committee member
- On the supervising committee for another 9 students (6 PhD and 3 MSc) from SPPH and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2 of them already graduated in 2019).
Available to supervise
I am currently looking for multiple graduate students (current and prospective) for a number of projects (with methodologic focuses within epidemiologic contexts). Following are few examples:
Instructions to Apply
Graduate students in statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, economics or computer science with somewhat strong methodological expertise in statistics (as well as statistical computing) are encouraged to contact me directly; particularly those with some of the following skills:
- making data requests,
- extracting analytic data from administrative (e.g., health admin) and survey databases (e.g., DHS, NHANES, BRFSS or CCHS),
- running statistical analyses using standard software (e.g., SAS, R or python),
- coding statistical estimators (via SAS macro/IML, R or stata mata),
- conducting simulation studies (e.g., in servers / parallel computing),
- excellent scientific writing (e.g., demonstrated via peer-reviewed publications),
- ability to work on a multidisciplinary team (e.g., work within biostatistics groups).
Interested candidates should email me (at my UBC email address) the following:
- a cover letter, mentioning whether you are interested in an MSc or a PhD program, why you want to work with me,
- a complete CV (including award list, if any),
- full publication record (peer-reviewed articles with full co-authors listed),
- copy of the unofficial transcripts (post-secondary), and
- list of research / work experiences in healthcare related settings (if any)
- Names of 2 referees (with official email addresses).
- If you are coming from an institution where English is not used as the first language, please also include your TOEFL (iBT), IELTS or equivalent scores in your CV. Please check out these websites for
PhD requirements for SPPH, UBC (see under ‘Requirements’ section). Note that the requirements vary by department (e.g., check for
Please check out my
G+PS profile for my research interests, as well as my previous publications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.